The IAOMT – International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology – made a statement about the dangers of mercury in amalgam dental fillings. It stated: “It is incompatible with current, valid scientific evidence to continue to endorse or otherwise condone the use of a permanently implanted material in teeth that continuously emits a very potent enzyme inhibitor and metabolic toxin”.
Mercury found in dental amalgams can be transported throughout the body as an inhaled gas or it can be swallowed as breakdown occurs. In Europe, Canada, Asia, and many other developing countries, the use of mercury amalgams has been banned. In the United States, use of mercury in disinfectants, thermometers, and other consumer products has been banned and yet amalgam dental fillings are still being used.
Mercury is helped out of the body by the master antioxidant Glutathione that attaches to metals and guides them out of the body. According to a professor of oral biology and pathology at Stony Brook University School of Dental Medicine, gum disease is the most common chronic inflammatory condition.
When the immune system is compromised and the inflammatory process is ignited, the effective removal of mercury is impeded. On the other hand, high levels of Mercury cause inflammation. So it’s like a vicious cycle.
Are “silver fillings” safe?” According to the World Health Organization, there is no safe level of mercury.
Check your body for inflammation! Thermography provides a way to evaluate oral/dental health (Face/Neck) and a way to monitor for inflammation throughout the body (Full Body).
If you decide to have your silver fillings removed, be sure to seek out a "mercury safe" or biological dentist.